Mrs. Tigrett: You’ve Been Tagged in a photo
On a brisk fall Sunday morning in 1912, Mrs. Isaac Burton Tigrett was ready for her closeup on the front steps of the newly built First Baptist Church. Facebook was not on her mind that morning. She was Mary Sue Kennedy Tigrett, and although she had no children, her husband’s brother Augustus King Tigrett had a son, John Burton who named one of his sons Isaac. The Tigretts are responsible for the GM&O Railroad, Trailways, the Memphis Pyramid, Hard Rock Cafe, and The House of Blues and Sathya the Sri Sai Institute of Higher Medicine. But that’s another story.
Mrs. Isaac Burton Tigrett headed up the Primary Class in Sunday School at the First Baptist Church. These were children, fresh from the nursery, who were experiencing their first organized religious education. They were also in the first, second or third grades in public school in Jackson.
The First Baptist Church had finally been completed and that day was about pictures. On April 2, 1911 the doors to the church building opened. The congregation had been holding services in the Madison County Court House for two years.
Three years before, in 1909, the church had voted to tear down the building and build a new structure on the property. “The committee for that purpose went to work and the finance committee was very active. Capt. J. C. Edenton, I. L. Grady, Henry White, W. E. Fite, W. C. Sanders and the pastor as the active committee. On July 21st the last meeting was held in the old building. A committee to move the furniture to the Supreme Court room, where the church would hold its meetings was appointed.”
“In the year 1876 a small number of young ladies were organized into what was known as The Silver Thimble Society. From the very first these young ladies went earnestly to work to do their part to aid in the completion of the church building and such other Christian work as was within their reach.”
Write a comment, click the Comments at the top of the page.
New Bridge Bio Films