Comments

Comments or questions are welcome. If you have information about people, places or content published on this site please send a reply using the form below.

50 Responses to Comments

1. Tom Homsley says:

I remember Dr Hubbard. Can you tell us about the other people in the party pictures – Baird, Exum, Spragins, Tisdale, etc. What did they do for a living, etc? Was Dr Crook Elizabeth’s dad?
    I remember the Bairds had a big spread on Campbell. We used to play baseball in their huge back yard.
    Who I’d the woman in the big hat in the car with the dog?

• Ruth Glissen Syversen says:

I worked for Finley’s Pharmacy in 1960-62. We made great soda’s and banana splits. It was across the street from the Hut in Hicksville; and does anyone remember Mrs. Sullivan’s pecan pies? We use to go there after school and buy second’s warm out of the oven.

2. John says:

I asked our society historians to work up a summary of these folks. Really, we’ll do several paragraphs and add them into the story. I’m not sure we’ll find out about the dog in the car or the woman with the hat. Sometimes a photograph that nobody identified, at the bottom of the box rates preserving. I like the shadow of the photographer with the skimmer hat on the door of the car.

3. Wesley Grace says:

Great job, John. Does anyone have a photo of Jane McLane’s first grade at Alexander?

• John says:

Wow, that would be a group of all stars for sure! No I haven’t seen one anywhere. We should ask around. I’ve also misplaced my nap blanket.

• Linda Jennings Higgins says:

I have a picture of you in a first grade class at Parkview — Miss Birdie Taylor’s class. I have published in my G-Mom Newsletter titled The Dancing Pig. Be glad to send you a copy if I had your address. Maybe I can get it from Jimmy Mitchell. Hope he passed on my sympathy to you when your mother passed.
      My brother-in-law, Terry Higgins, was in your class at Parkview so that is why I put it in the newsletter that goes to the grandkids and other family members.
      Let me know if you want a copy.

4. Cindy Cawthon says:

Cruising on Friday nights and on Sunday afternoons was a big part of our lives. Of course, we could collect a dollar for gas and ride all night on that small amount. We always had fun and felt safe, and our parents didn’t really have to worry too much about us. If anyone’s parent saw us misbehaving we would have been in big trouble

• John says:

We’re looking for pictures of you misbehaving.

• Tom Homsley says:

Cindy and the girls used to drive out to the Chat and Chew looking for Southside boys. I guess they had worn out all us JHS guys. Pat Freeman said she used to go along but would duck down so nobody would see her – LOL!

5. G.G. Dolbeer Bray says:

Can’t wait to read all the comments and see al the pictures! what a great job you are doing with this! hope all of you will be in Jackson on June 2nd for the big all school reunion. should be fun! G.G.

6. Linda Jennings Higgins says:

John Jennings is my cousin. I will try to print the dialogue that you mentioned him in and mail it to him. I will tell him about your web site.

7. Steve Hamilton says:

IF MEMORY SERVES ME

Dr. Jere Crook opened the Crook Sanatorium in the early 1900′s at the corn the of Baltimore and Shannon. In 1930 the building became home to Fitts-White Clinic. Dr. Crook and his family lived on Highland, close to Fairmont. Dr. William (Billy) Crook was Dr. Jere’s son. Dr. Billy authored 14 books and was know worldwide for “THE YEAST CONNECTION”. He and wife Betsy had three daughters, Elizabeth, Cynthia and Nancy. Their home was on Oakslea Place off of Fairmont and behind his parents home.

Bransford Whitlow served as President of Gulf Transit Co. and assistant Vice-President of the GM&O Railroad. He and his wife Jean lived on North Acres Dr.

Fred Boyer Sr. was in the construction business with Boyer-Johnson Co. and later Boyer-Johnson-Kimes Co. They specialized in road building. Many of the roads you travel today in and around Jackson were built by Mr. Boyer. His son Fred Jr. is the current Chief Administrative Officer of the Madison County Highway Dept.

Hearn Spragins was a noted Jackson attorney. Hearn’s wife Maggie was well known for hosting the TKO Easter Sunrise Service on her front lawn off of Highland Ave. Their son Sid followed his dad in the field of law and served as City Attorney. Their daughter, Lynn, also lives in Jackson and is married to the late Dr. Dotson’s son Bud.

Hunter Baird was a stock broker with J.C. Bradford Co. The family lived on Country Club Lane. Son Andy lives in Memphis and is a bond broker.

James Exum, wife Elizabeth and son Jimmy lived close to Browns Church on what is now Hwy. 412. Mr. Exum raised cattle and farmed. He also owned Exum Cotton Gin, Exum Bulldozer Service, and three grocery stores; two downtown and one at the corner of old Hwy. 20 & 70. Jimmy started Total Reach and is now Executive Vice-President of Murray Guard.

The H.L. Wilson family owned the Ford dealership in Jackson from around 1914 to 1934. Carl Tisdale became a partner in that year, while maintaining his regular job as a tobacco salesman in Tn. and Ky. When the economy started to improve Mr. Tisdale purchased most of the dealership and H.L. Wilson became Sales-Manager. During the 50′s this area of W. Lafayette was “car central” in Jackson. The Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Ford dealerships were next door to each other and Packard was across the street. Carl’s sons Bo and Ben both worked at Wilson Motors until it was sold in 1976. The Jackson Sun now occupies the Wilson Motors site. Their family home still exists at the corner of Highland and Parkway.

A question was raised about a big yard on Campbell that hosted many a ballgame, Easter egg hunts and the like. This was the home of Bob Beare Sr., owner of Beare Ice & Coal Co. The house is now part of The First Christian Church. Bob Beare Jr. is a well known real estate broker in Jackson.

• sarah cecil eck says:

John, thank you for gathering all of this information. It is such fun to read about all of the familiar places and see the wonderful pictures.

8. Sandra Mullins Ayers says:

John, thanks so much for doing this site! Lots of information I never knew.

9. John Jennings says:

“The Secret” is a true depiction by John Reitzammer of our explorations of the First Baptist Church. We knew every square inch of that building and we spent many hours there. Believe it or not, most of our time in church was actually spent sitting quietly in services or classes. Our parents were all faithful members of First Baptist and the example of their lives will be forever inspirational to us. The old church building is gone but I will always be thankful for the legacy of the First Baptist Church in my life.

10. John, that was such a nice letter that you wrote to Mrs. Freeman. I didn’t have her as a teacher but spoke with her at reunions and she was very nice. I felt this way about my mentor, Mrs. Margaret Shelton. She and Miss Edyth Worthy were my 2 favorite teachers. Miss Worthy has come to a couple of our “mini reunions” and she is a hoot! We enjoyed her so much and hate that we didn’t know how much fun she was to be around. She is as sharp as a tack! I look forward to seeing her on Saturday.

11. Claude Ray Wilson says:

For Steve Hamilton: Thanks for the personal view of Coach Pechonick. He, among others that taught us, did leave lasting memories with the knowledge they imparted to us. Sadly, there have been very few that I was able to thank. Thanks again for “humanizing” the Coach; the Chemistry teacher; and the Physics teacher. He was a remarkable man!

12. Lynda Christiansen says:

Great story on Mr. Pechonick. I squeaked through Chemistry and still remember him coming up behind me when I was sitting on a stool on the front row, beside Kay Bynum, and hitting my behind (layered with petticoats) with his yardstick.

13. Patsy White Camp says:

John,
    Thank you for all of your work and effort. This is a great site. I loved the photos and your letter to Mrs. Alta Freeman was very special. (as was Steve’s

Also, I enjoyed the JHS All Classes video. Chuck and I missed the reunion. Mimi did such a grand job.
    Happy Birthday again and Thanks
    Patsy White Camp

14. Patsy White Camp says:

John,
    Thank you for all of your work and effort. This is a great site. I loved the photos and your letter to Mrs. Alta Freeman was very special. (as were Steve’s reflections)

Happy Birthday again and Thanks
    Patsy White Camp

15. Beverly Gay Enloe says:

Ms. Freeman was an inspiration to me. I was one of the lucky ones NOT to go to Algebra I in 9th grade. I went into what I still call “dummy math” class. However it set me up to face Ms. Freeman in 10th and 12th making straight A’s in Algebra I and Algebra II. She ignited a love for math in me that I did not have til high school. Thank you Ms. Freeman :)

16. hunter taylor says:

great site–brings back some wonderful memories–my first heart throb–who i have not forgotten even in the fog of advancing age–when i was out of school one day with a bad cold and came back to find that she had become the girl friend of my best friend–kay bynum will remain my unforgotten first love–robert moore mainord will remain a great childhood best friend in my mind but unforgiven to this day–jackson was a wonderful place to grow up–i could tell many stories–they are running through my mind–like when we all camped out on the 17th fairway at jackson cc golf course–waiting for harry schaeffer and baxter smith to park on cc lane with their dates (ceil west and i forget–maybe beth harris–not sure) with phil swango ready to come over the hill with an axe in his haand and a stocking over his head–as old saw face–the legendary killers of madison county parkers—at about 11 p m it all happened–they were parked–making out i assume–swango came over the hill–axe swinging by his side–harry s opened his back door and ran—fast–upon the loud round of laughter to return saying he had been in search of a large branch to use as a weapon–in the meantime andy baird had fallen out of the tree above the parked car in which the lovers had been doing what ever they were doing–the laughter caused him to lose his balance and fall from the tree–from the last time i saw him the tree would no longer hold him–but that happens to many of us as age creeps up–any way it was a summer nite in jackson that i will never forget–a wonderful place to have grown up–and a place for which i am thankful for so many memories–thanks for the site–hope others will share their experiences–hope mine has not been too risque

• John says:

Wow. Great story! Thank you. I am a few weeks from finishing a story on high school fraternity craziness that we shared. I remember your dad was Grand Master of the TKO fraternity . In fact he was the 5th Grand Master, preceeded by Billy Kirby, Frank Franklin, Hal Wallace and Ernest Rainey. We had to memorize the names of these historically important folks.

17. Back in the mid-60′s, after I had gotten out of the Army and was “serving my sentence” in the National Guard, my unit was having its monthly drill on Saturday and Sunday. I took a look at the lunch menu in the mess hall, and decided I wanted something different. I drove down to Hicksville, which was becoming a bit more “refined” as Highland Park. I went in to The Hut, and ordered a “pig” sandwich and a beer. There were two older ladies sitting in the adjacent booth. I overheard one of them say, “My God, I didn’t know that they sold BEER in here! I’ll never eat here again!” Only in the “Bible Belt”.

• Pamela Newbill Davis says:

Thank you so much for the Hicksville article. It was/is a special part of Jackson. My grandparents (Ray and Johnie McClanahan) lived at 1408 Highland from the 30s to the early 60s when they moved to Chickasaw Rd near the Mall. Grandaddy sold the house and it was moved to the street behind it off of Campbell (next to those brick apartments) and he leased the land to Drs. McClemore and William who built the Park Century Building on the land. The house sat on the back of the deep lot, high on a hill behind huge evergreen trees. I loved “growing up” in Hicksville when I would be at Nanny and Grandaddy’s (usually daily). Nanny’s sister and brother-in-law (H.O. “Boy” Forgy and his wife Blossom) had the Brownstone Restaurant which later became Georgia’s when she and Johnny left the Hut. Loved Paschall’s Grocery, the Esso/Exxon station, the hardware store, Finley’s Pharmacy, the Dime Store, Harwell’s Jewellers, the barber shop in the arcade, the beauty shops, Tuckers Court, Highland Park Grocery, the donut shop, Ma Barton and her family, and I could go on and on if my memory would allow it. Highland Park was a fun place to play and I made so many wonderful childhood friends, many of whom have reconnected on facebook. It was a special time and a more innocent time in which we lived … it was the best place to grow up. Thanks for the memories … I can smell the smoke and taste the bbq and onion rings and coconut meringue pie. Ah …

18. Vicky Paschall Thorman says:

John, Thanks for the tributre to Alta. I never had Alta for a teacher but I went to church with the Freemans at Highland Heights Methodist in Hicksville. Clyde and Alta are both remarkable people. I visit them weekly at Maplewood Nursing Home. Alta is unable to speak but she does wave goodbye to me. How lucky we were to have such wonderful teachers and friends!!

19. ray harness says:

Is there a list of the people attending the super reunion 0f 2012?

20. Elaine Wiseman says:

Linda, I saw a picture of Dr. Crook. He was allergist doctor when I was a little girl. He was great to see his face again. He was such a lovely man. I thought the world of him. He brought back some great memories.

21. Micheal Tedder says:

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to share your memories. I am really glad to see that you are still alive and well!

Micheal

22. Kathryn Tucker says:

My grandfather in law was Mike Tucker. I am doing a black n white photo wall in my house and need a copy of the picture of the three pigs sign.. Does anyone have the capability to email that to me?

23. Johnny Polk says:

Emma Inman Williams
    History teacher, who lived in the corner house across the street from Alexander Elementary School. She was also Historian for Madison County.

24. I’m looking for photos and information about Mrs. IB Tigrett and Mrs. AF Dudley. They were the founders of the Jackson Area Chapter of the American Red Cross. Our 100th Anniversary is June 19, 2017, and I would like to include photos and information about these women at our celebration.

25. Becky Dehoney Richardson says:

Thanks for all the memories. The website is great!

26. Sharyn Beck Wilson '63 says:

Jackson educators made careers (plural intended) possible for me. So many truly great teachers were hired by, nurtured by, fostered by Fred Standley. Elizabeth and Faye Etheridge were two greats. As were John Pichonick and Tom Fann. Remember Becky in 10th grade biology; that was me. Why? I have no idea except Mr. Fann thought it was funny. We dissectged a fish that year. I remember how small the brain cavity was. Years later my husband and I had a pet fish for 13 years. Her ability to assimilate new experiences and come to terms with and adjust to them belied the tiny space for her brain. Who knows? What I do know is that the education I had in Jackson enabled me to go far beyond anything I thought possible at the time. In truth, far beyond what WAS possible at that time. I thank them all.
    Unfortunately I cannot be in Jackson on June 7. I will be there about three weeks earlier. Maybe I can see some of you.

27. Buster Judy says:

Even though we moved to Covington, Savannah, 1958 to Winter Park, Fla. I felt a deep connection to Hicksville. My great grandmother owned Hicksville Grocery in the Woodmen of the World building for several years. When I was an infant, my mother stopped at the grocery and that is when I turned the car on, sat on the starter (in the floor), car in gear and knocked a corner of the Pronto Pup down. Scared the woman in the back seat half to death.
    I was around Danny Anderson, Bill Way, George Esch, and that crowd a lot during my summer time in Hicksville. Remember all the garage bands that these guys were in would be a great article to see. It was the Merits, and the Marvels.

28. Charles "Butch" Rose says:

John,
    Thank you for this remarkable presentation of times and people that meant so much to all of us ! These memories and the people like yourself that love Jackson (our Hometown) are why after 50 years of “being out in the world”, I have come Home. Sorry to have missed this celebration, but hope to not miss anymore ! I know there are many more stories to be told and it is so great to have it all captured !
    Thank You !

29. Jeff Harrison says:

wow, this is pretty cool. I stumbled upon it via a search for an old friend, in which I put “Jackson Tennessee” in quotation marks–didn’t find the friend (yet), but this site is quite a find. I haven’t made it to most of the parts yet, but in reading over the comments I’ve seen many familiar names; I look forward to browsing through the rest!

I did look at the Hicksville page, since I grew up in Hicksville–and even in the house of Mr. Hicks, for whom the community was named. This is the same house that Dr. Jere Crook (and Gran Millian) lived in, and then the Harrisons. Only when my mom did the research to put the house on the National Register of Historic Places did I find out that it had once been Mr. Hicks’ house.

The pictures of the original Hut are amazing!

And I could tell some stories of the Pronto Pup! (and remember the little pink toy store that was next door to it for a while? What was that called? I used to get all my models there.)

30. Your Information about Mrs. I.B. Tigrett’s DNA being in the creation of a list of prospering businesses is incorrect. Isaac Burton Tigrett (born 1879) and Mary Sue Kennedy Tigrett had no children. I.B.’s brother, Augustus King Tigrett, had a son named John Burton Tigrett. It was John Burton Tigrett who named his son (1949)after his uncle, Isaac Burton.
    Isaac Burton and Augustus King Tigrett were the sons of Samuel King Tigrett who became a Baptist minister. [I have his funeral card.] Of note, Samuel King was named for Samuel King who was one of the founders of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. S.K.’s daddy, Chesterfield Tigrett, had been a devout Cumberland Presbyterian but he died when S.K. and his older brother, Andrew Burton Tigrett, were very young. The funeral card tells of Rev. S.K. Tigrett’s journey to the Baptist denomination.

The mother of S.K. and A.B. Tigrett is Mary Jane Hurley Tigrett Edwards. The “boys” are 1/2 brothers to my Great Grandfather Moses Aaron Edwards. After Mary Jane’s death, my great grandfather lived with and worked on A.B. Tigrett’s farm in District 9, Dyer County. A.B. Tigrett remained Cumberland Presbyterian. He married the daughter of Rev. Hamilton Parks.

31. Paula Mitchell Cook "61 JHS says:

I had Ms Alta for homeroom, and she will always have a special place in my heart.
    Another Drug store you may remember is Bond’s Pharmacy on the cornor of Highland and Deadrick, my husband Bobby Joe Cook (before we married) made deliveries for Dr. Bond, Paul Davenport worked there also some may remember him. They had the Soda Fountain, cheery Cokes ..

32. Dave Jackson says:

Does anybody have a picture of the Pronto Pup??
    if so please email to me..

rave@usit.net

• Fran Stedman Turner says:

Be sure and look in Facebook Group “I Grew Up In Jackson, Tennessee” and I believe you’ll find a good-quality photo of the Pup. Just looked at it while ago!

33. Linda Yates Truex says:

What a wonderful website, John–I so enjoyed it!! Thank you for bringing back so many happy memories that I cherish . . . Boy, didn’t we have fun!!

Linda Yates Truex

34. donna henley moore says:

i grew up in Hicksville in the late 60′s and early 70′s. My brother Buster and I hug out at the pup, and the dairy queen. I would ride my bike from Bryant street to Findley’s pharmacy for candy and comic books, go to the 5 and dime, I think it was a Ben Franklin. Dr. Mclemore was my Dentist, and Baker’s Esso was where my parents got their gas and cigaretts.

35. Michael Hinton says:

Our Hinton clan lived in Jackson in the late 50′s and this was a big place for us to get Sunday dinner! We’ll never forget! My grtgrandfather Robert Campbell Hinton had a butcher shop at this corner probably nearer the turn of the century. Does anyone have it in an old city directory?

36. Rosa White says:

I was born in Jackson, TN, and grew up nearby in Henderson. I would love to know about any existing photographs or articles about certain places in Jackson that I remember such as the sign over the Pixie Toy and Hobby Shop, the Old Colonial Bakery sign on Royal Street, The Chat and Chew, Woolworth’s, Vanilla Village Ice Cream, Coleman’s BBQ, etc. Thanks to anyone who can steer me in the right direction!

37. Rosa White says:

Anyone have memories of Gibson’s Discount Center, TG&Y, Montgomery Wards, Nando Jones Thrift Shop, and a big white building that used to be a steakhouse(don’t remember name) that would have been on Hwy 45 I think?